Wednesday, February 16, 2011

First Wholesome Dog Food Recipe

http://www.squidoo.com/noah-our-silky-poo


First Wholesome Dog Food Recipe

02/16/2011 6:36 pm
3 c oats
2c carrots (I used frozen)
1 c turnip greens
1/4 c oat bran 
4 eggs
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp parsley

Cook oats as directed. I steamed the carrots - not too long, better to have some crunch and preserve nutrients! I sauteed the greens in 1/2 tsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) and scrambled the eggs in 1/2 tsp of EVOO. Added the spices to the egg and mixed everything
together. Noah loves it! :)

I really felt like it needed corn and rice, but I've read mixed opinions about those two ingredients for dogs, and white rice for sure, hard to digest, etc and since they're not that great for humans, I held off.

NOTE: I was going to add sunflower seeds, ground flax seeds, ground almonds and ground eggshells (for calcium) but I am really serious abut sticking to less is more, especially for Noah's sake, I want to know how he handles things a few at a time and I'm not sure how much calcium he really needs or wouldn't be getting from the other stuff. I've read mixed opinions on almonds also, so until I've formed a confident decision - it's no for now. As far as sunflower seeds ground flax seeds, I've heard only good things but wanted to avoid giving him too much fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment