Friday, February 18, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap :)

So, I finally did it. I studied, and researched and decided to finally, just do it! I made laundry soap.

The best part?  It cleaned my clothes - without using an additional bar of Ivory soap, Castile soap, or anything that contains or ever contained lye. I use cold water to wash my clothes and don't have to worry about the grated soap pieces with other recipes not dissolving in my laundry.

Here's the recipe:

1 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax (76oz $3.12)
1 cup of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (55oz $2.79)














20 drops of Essential Oil (I used Peppermint EO, $6) Great for a fresh, clean scent! (Might use less EO if I combined it with other EOs.)

I bought the Borax and Washing Soda at Meijer and had a 4oz bottle of Essential Peppermint Oil at home that I purchased at The Better Health Market. (I had a 1/2oz bottle of Tea Tree Oil that lasted me over a year...)

If I had Tea Tree Oil, I'd add 10-15 drops of that too, it is Anti-bacterial, Anti-fungal, Anti Microbial, Anti Septic, It's an Insecticide (wards off Mosquitos!)  and does many other beneficial things for your health and well being.















I would also add 10-15 drops of Lavender to round out the Peppermint and Tea Tree if I had it on hand! :) It also has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties which will aid in eradicating rashes, scabies, etc.

Side Note: Essential Oils are great for many things, look it up! I'd much rather have them rubbing against my skin all day then the toxins that are normally present on clothing with regular laundry detergent. 


Another side Note: Think of how "The Patch" works for those quitting smoking and how virtually everything that touches your skin is eventually absorbed into your bloodstream...

I put the ingredients in a tall canning jar (consider getting with BPA Free Canning lids when canning food) and just shook it up! I use just 1-2 tsp per load. You may want to use 1 - 2 cups for heavily soiled loads, but my husband finishes drywall and 2 tsp was enough to get his clothes clean.















So, for  pennies you get well over 250 loads of laundry. Works great, smells great, no more big plastic jugs going to the landfill.

Try it out, let me know what you think! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment